Sunday, June 25, 2017


Building Relationships with People in Christ

 June 12, 2017 Finance Committee Meeting     (H)



I.          Items to be included in Session's consent agenda

Ø  None

II.         Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session

Ø  None

III.        Items for information only

Ø  See below



Members present: Bill Melewski, Sandy Moore, Don Pine Linda Schumacher, Ed Ingram, AND Paul Luce on speaker phone


Members absent: Barry Holmes & Don Young



*Bill opened with prayer

 Ø  Endowment Committee – no report

Ø  Financial Secretary Report – someone will need to put away the offering on Sunday, 7/16 & 7/23- either Ed Ingram or Don Pine will take care of it.

Ø  Treasurer Report - see attached

o   Expenses in May exceeded income and current checking account balance  is lower than normal. But  contributions are historically less in the summer months.  We discussed the process for transferring some funds from savings if the need arises.

Ø  Joy Scholarship

o   Don Pine made a motion to award scholarships in the following amounts: Yvonne Atekem- $500, Christopher Gilbert - $600, Audrey Lockwood - $500, James Wiltfang- $600, and John Wiltfang-$600.  Motion carried.  Sandy will notify the recipients and request the information needed to send the money to their schools.

o   It was suggested and decided to add a section to the application form for the information needed (e.g. student I.D. number and school address) for disbursement of funds if the applicant is awarded the scholarship

Ø  Stewardship – further planning was postponed till August since Pastor Pat was not at the meeting

Ø  NO meeting in July.   Next meeting is August 14th.

Sandy closed the meeting sharing some inspirational experiences from her trip which the committee agreed was our prayer.



Respectfully submitted,

Linda Schumacher

Saturday, May 20, 2017


Building Relationships with People in Christ

May 15, 2017  - Finance Committee Meeting     (H)



Items to be included in Session's consent agenda  -none

Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session - none

Items for information only -see below



Members present: Ed Ingram, Bill Melewski, Sandy Moore, Don Pine, Linda Schumacher, and Paul Luce & Pastor Pat (via speaker phone)

Members absent: Barry Holmes, & Don Young



Sandy opened with prayer



v  Endowment Committee

o   No report since Bill’s been out of town and Don Y had hip surgery



v  Financial Secretary Report

o      Linda will be on vacation 7/11-7/26 so no contributions will be posted 7/11 - 7/30.  Paul will keep an eye on the bank balance and notify Sandy if it appears that funds need to be transferred from savings to insure that there is enough in the checking account to pay expenses – particularly payroll.

o     Linda plans to distribute mid-year statements on Sunday, July 2, 2017.





v  Treasurer Report – see report attached

o   Finance Committee approved transferring funds from Lena Martin's undesignated memorial fund to 28101

o   Sandy has a lead on an outside party who might be interested in doing BRPC Treasurer duties.  The committee was in favor of Sandy finding  out what this person would be willing to do and what they would charge

o   It was decided that Paul does not need to post the financial reports on the BRPC website blog



v  2018 Stewardship Campaign -

o   Various theme ideas were shared including:   “Stories of Faith”, “Cross Your Heart”, and “Pony Express”

o   After some discussion, the committee decided to use a heart theme this year with people telling stories “from the heart” about why they love BRPC along with a skit about giving from the heart that Linda had seen online

o   We want to keep the Pony Express as an idea for next year. 



v  Joy Scholarship Requests -  Deadline for applications is June 1

o   Request to use Joy Scholarship Funds to repay student loans was denied.  Ed will communicate this information to the families that made this request

o   It was decided to make it an annual process to create a report of how the Joy Funds have been used each year.

o   Pastor Pat is pursuing whether or not this scholarship money can be used for seminary students who do not belong to our Presbytery

o   Sandy will be sending a personal reminder of the deadline to some of the folks we identified as possibly being qualified for these funds







Next meeting June 12, 2017 - 6:30 p.m.



Pastor Pat closed the meeting with a prayer





Respectfully submitted, Linda Schumacher

Tuesday, April 18, 2017


Building Relationships with People in Christ

 April 10, 2017  - Finance Committee Meeting     (H)


Items to be included in Session's consent agenda  -None

Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session - None

Items for information only -See below

 
Members present: Ed Ingram, Sandy Moore, Linda Schumacher, Don Young, and Paul Luce (via speaker phone)

Members absent: Barry Holmes, Bill Melewski, & Don Pine
 

Ed opened with prayer

v  Endowment Committee
o   Don Y provided a draft of a bulletin insert to encourage birthday contributions to Endowment Fund.  It will be distributed on Sunday, 4/ 23.  Some edits were suggested. 

o   And there was discussion of future ways to explain and inspire the congregation to give to this fund.


v  Financial Secretary Report

o      Linda will be away from 7/11-7/26 so no contributions will be posted 7/11 - 7/30.  Finance Committee will review the bank balance in June and decide if any action needs to be taken to insure that the bank account balance remains high enough to pay the bills during that time
 

v  Treasurer Report – see report attached

o   Taking into account the fact that we haven't taken any money out of savings and the pledge monies that we know are not paid until December, our financial status is currently stable

o   The suggestion was made that the new 28005 account should have the word "meal" in it and since this fund will be administered by the Fellowship Committee, it should be designated as such rather than "ALL".  Paul will change this account number and designation accordingly

v  Joy Scholarship Requests -  Deadline for applications is June 1

o   Sandy is aware of one person who definitely plans to apply
 

v  Heartland Presbytery Billing Statement Review

o   As of January 30, 2017, BRPC owes Presbytery $11,628.96.  The reason for this is our inability to pay the per capita amount for all of our members through the years. 

o   The Finance Committee is committed to trying to reduce this debt as evidenced by the additional funds placed in the 2017 budget and the increased reminders to the congregation

 

v  Session's action on  Finance Committee recommendations in March

o     recommendation to establish a funeral meal account - approved

o     recommendation to approve Office Manager's online banking proposal - approved

o     recommendation to approve CE's request to hold a "Rice Bowl" collection - approved

 

v  2018 Stewardship Campaign - It is time to begin planning now!

o   it was suggested that we refresh our memories of what the theme has been the last 5 years

§  We could only find 3 years in our files -   2017-Joy; 2016-Gratitude; 2015-Step Up

o   Pastor Pat suggested one theme idea for 2018 - Discipleship

o   all Finance Committee members are to  bring your stewardship ideas to our May meeting

 

v  Financial Review

o    Ed’s CPA  is willing to review BRPC financial records after the tax season is over

Next meeting May 15, 2017 - 6:30 p.m. (date change because neither Don Y nor Ed I could attend on 5/8)

 

Pastor Pat closed the meeting with a prayer

 

 

Respectfully submitted, Linda Schumacher

Saturday, March 18, 2017


Building Relationships with People in Christ

March 13, 2017 Finance Committee Meeting     (H)

 

I.          Items to be included in Session's consent agenda

Ø  None

II.         Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session

Ø  Request Session reconsider the establishment of a separate fund for supplies (food and/or paper ware) for funerals - see D. below

Ø  Office Manager, Sharon Schroer's, online banking proposal - attached

Ø  CE request to have K-12th graders fill "Rice Bowls"  - containers to collect money to provide food for orphans in developing countries - 4/23-5/28 - go to ricebowls.org for more information.

III.        Items for information only

Ø  None

 Members present: Bill Melewski, Sandy Moore, Don Pine Linda Schumacher, Don Young AND Paul Luce participated by speaker phone

Members absent: Barry Holmes & Ed Ingram

*Bill opened with prayer

A.      Endowment Committee – Don Young and Linda Schumacher will get together to create something for the Welcome Screen about Endowments
      B.      Financial Secretary Report – nothing to report

C.      Treasurer Report   - Don Y. made a motion to approve Treasurer's report as presented.  Bill M. seconded  - Committee approved
      D.     Paul L informed us that the Session did not want to establish a separate fund for the            Fellowship Committee to use to provide a reception/lunch for funerals –

·         After some discussion, the Finance Committee agreed that they would like for the Session to reconsider this decision.  Families often make a donation that is designated specifically to help pay for the expense of providing a reception/lunch.  When these funds are put in the general food fund, those monies can be used for any church event involving food so what has been happening is that there are no funds there when the next funeral lunch is needed which puts a bigger burden on the Fellowship Committee to find people willing to donate food.

·         If the Session approves the establishment of a separate fund for expenses involved in providing a funeral reception/lunch, the Finance Committee recommends transferring funds from 28100, 28105, and 28401 into it

·         If the Session does not approve the establishment of this separate account, the Finance Committee will instruct Paul to transfer the money in these accounts into the general Food Fund

E.      Paul also explained that if there has been activity in an account this year, then that account cannot be deleted even if we do not plan to use it this year

        F.       The review of the January statement  from Heartland Presbytery was tabled until        Pastor             Pat's return.

G.     Online Banking proposal from office manager, Sharon Schroer was discussed.  Paul shared that a study he saw recently showed that the cost to process a check = $10 when you include time involved and postage – Sharon's estimate indicates we can process at least 20 checks for that amount online..

H.     C E would like to have K-5 collect funds for the Rice Bowl organization - 4/23-5/28.  It was the consensus of those in attendance to recommend approval of this request.

I.        Next Meeting is April 10, 2017  - 6:30 p.m.  (Paul will be in PA but he can still be called that evening)

J.        Information to be included in newsletter:  Information about Endowment Fund, continue to solicit someone to take on Paul's responsibilities and importance of paying per capita

Sandy closed the meeting with a prayer

 

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Schumacher

Friday, February 10, 2017


Building Relationships with People in Christ

February 6, 2017 Christian Education Committee Meeting     (H)
 
I.          Items to be included in Session's consent agenda

Ø  none

II.         Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session

Ø  Fund raising requests from Missions and Outreach Committee - see A. below

Ø  repurposing/renaming of some restricted accounts - see D. below

III.        Items for information only

Ø  See Below

 Members present: Bill Melewski, Sandy Moore, Linda Schumacher

Also present: Pastor Pat AND Paul Luce participated by speaker phone

Members absent: Barry Holmes, Ed Ingram, Don Pine, & Don Young

Prompted by questions from Linda S, we had a preliminary discussion about the minute taking & distributing of minutes process.  Based on Pastor Pat's confirmation, the minutes are identified as "H" and the breakdown for consent, vote needed and for information only structure is show at the top of these minutes.  Pastor Pat also shared that a good process would be for whoever has taken the minutes to send them to the committee members asking for any corrections/additions within the week.  Then the final version will be posted to both the Session Packet and Finance folders in drop box for that month.

 Linda Schumacher opened the meeting with prayer

 A.  Fund Raising Requests from Missions and Outreach Committees:

o   Ongoing – Micah Ministries

o   3/18 – REAP Pancake Day/Bake Sale*

o   April – ask congregation for donations of candy and plastic eggs

o   6/21 – Bake Sale on first day of Rummage Sale

o   July - Summer Lunch Ministry

o   September – sales of Farmstead Nuts

o   10/7 – Sloppy Joe’s Café (Bake Sale & Silent Auction)*

o   10/8 – Crop Walk

o    Date?  NOROC

o   Date?  PEB

*pending Property Use Form completion and approval by Property Committee & Session

Linda made a motion to approve these fund raising efforts.  Bill seconded.  Motion approved by committee members either who were at the meeting or via email following the meeting.

Consideration of this request initiated a discussion of how best to coordinate fund raising requests with the Property Committee and the Session.  Consequently, Pat revised the already existing but outdated "BRPC Fund Raising Master Fundraising Events Calendar" in the Session folder in drop box to include columns for dates of submission and approval to/by Property, Finance, and Session.

B.  Endowment Committee – No report  Bill mentioned that the Endowment Committee has been holding off on any promotion in recent months because we have had other fund raisers happening.  Pastor Pat shared some suggestions for the future including:  promo birthday contributions by calculating an estimate of how much would be donated in a year if everyone donated their age amount on their birthday and that information was shared in/on welcome sign/newsletter/weekly email/bulletin or “minute“ during worship; set a 2017 goal for number of families/individuals who have designated BRPC in their estate planning

C.  Financial Secretary Report

o   most of the 2017 special offering envelope packets have been given out – Linda hopes to catch the last few families who haven’t picked them up next Sunday

o   Linda received an inquiry from Linda Lockwood representing the Mission and Outreach Committee requesting that the UPW – acct no. 28400 and Deborah Circle – acct no. 28404 be repurposed to a miscellaneous Mission Fund.  Those present at the meeting (and a majority of those who were not present who replied via email) were in favor of this. 

o   Linda shared a concern about the very low balance ($9.82) in the general food fund (28000).  This was a challenge recently to the Fellowship Committee in providing the funeral luncheon for the Wiltfang family.  It was suggested that a separate account be established for Funeral Meals so that the Fellowship Committee would have better control of those funds.  See D. below - it was recommended that 28401, MIS-Memorial Fund be repurposed as a Funeral Food Fund.

D.  Treasurer Report – January reports can be found in drop box in both Finance & Session folders

Paul reviewed the reports for January with the committee

We then went through the accounts on the Balance Sheet H-1 to be sure we all understood the purpose of each one.  During this process, it was discovered that we have money in designated accounts whose purpose either no longer exists or has changed.  The Finance Committee's suggested changes can be found as notes on the H-1 report for January in drop box, Finance, Finance Meetings, 2/6/17. 

E.   Joy Endowment Fund.  Due to the length of the meeting, no discussion was held on how to better publicize the fact that we have scholarship money available.  Pastor Pat did say he will put it on Facebook and will be talking to Heartland Presbytery about sharing the word there also. 

F. - Item to be included in  our next meeting agenda.

o   review of statement from Heartland Presbytery to insure that we understand it

Next Meeting will be March 13, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.

Pastor Pat closed with prayer.

 
Respectfully submitted,

Linda Schumacher

Thursday, January 12, 2017


Building  Relationships With People in Christ

Minutes of Finance Committee Meeting on Jan. 9, 2017

Members present: Pastor Pat Jackson, Ed Ingram, Linda Schumacher, Don Pine, Don Young, Bill Melewski, Sandy Moore, and Paul Luce by phone.

Ed opened with Devotion and Prayer

No items needed for vote.

Endowment Committee will continue to inform the congregation of our Endowment Fund with the hopes to seeing it grow.

Shelby Systems which supply’s the software for the church has increased its fees by 20% this year. It is a difficult system to use and the committee will research other options that would be more user friendly and cost efficient.

The committee will continue to make announcements to the congregation about our per capita expense with the hope that we can get more people paying their per capita. We had about 80 people pay last year, could we get that up to 100 this year?

Next Meeting: Feb. 6, 2017 at 6:30PM

Pat closed with prayer

Respectfully submitted by Ed Ingram

Thursday, December 15, 2016


Building Relationships with People in Christ

Minutes of Finance Committee Meeting on Dec. 12, 2016

Members present: Pastor Pat Jackson, Ed Ingram, Don Pine, Don Young, Linda Schumacher, Bill Melewski, and Paul Luce by phone

Ed opened with Prayer

Items for approval:  1. Fundraiser for selling Super Bowl Sub Meals on Jan. 15, 22, 29.  2. Fundraiser for Rummage Sale June 21 thru 25. 3. Approval of 2017 Budget

Finance Committee approved $3,300 to be applied to our per capita bill.

Finance Committee also approved $5,000 to be sent to the Presbytery Foundation  from monies collected for our A/V account. We will have repaid ourselves $27,600 out of the $30,000 we borrowed from our savings 3 years ago.

Beginning in 2017 the Endowment Committee will have quarterly announcements about  giving a dollar for each year of your age to help the Endowment Fund.

Next Meeting: Jan. 9. 2017

Pat closed with prayer.