Building Relationships with People in Christ
January 16, 2019 - Finance Committee Meeting (H)
Items to be included in Session's consent agenda -none
Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session –-FUND RAISERS - see 6 below
Items for information only – see below
Members present: Sandy Moore, Bill Melewski, Don Pine, Linda Schumacher, Don Young, & Ed Ingram and Paul Luce (via speaker phone)
Also present: Pastor Ron
Members absent: Barry Holmes
Bill Melewski opened with a prayer.
1. Financial Secretary Report
o Linda began distributing 2018 Statements on Sunday, January 6th. Worship was cancelled due to bad weather last Sunday but hopefully, some more can be distributed this Sunday 1/20. Then the remaining will be mailed.
o Packets of Special Envelopes – Per Capita, One Great Hour of Sharing, Pentecost, & Joy will be available for pick up on 1/20, also.
o Linda has ordered 200 memorial envelopes with lines for donors to provide their name and address. She is going to remove all memorial envelopes from the pews since they are messy, and it requires a lot of envelopes just to have some in each envelope spot. A basket will be available during funerals containing both the envelope with donor’s information and envelopes with BRPC mailing address.
2. Per Capita – The total we currently owe Presbytery is $14000.00. This is the balance due for 2018 and the amount due for 2019. Don Young made a motion that we divide this total amount by 11 and make a monthly payment to pay this debt. Motion carried. The committee discussed stressing at the congregational meeting how important it is that everyone pay their per capita to avoid depleting our savings to meet this commitment.
3. Shelby conversion from v5 to Next – A Shelby representative is scheduled to call Linda on 1/22. So, she, hopefully, will have information about options and pricing to share at the February meeting.
4. Treasurer's Report (see December 2018 reports in Drop Box)
o Paul reviewed the December financial reports with the committee. Investments have had a 7%
decrease which is not reflected in the December 2019 report.
o Paul reported that he has reviewed the books, and everything looks fine
o Paul also stated that he has provided information to Avis for the statistical report
5. Congregational Meeting
o It was the consensus of the committee that we should not ask Paul to rearrange his Sunday morning to be available via phone for this. If a question arises that we can’t answer, we will find out and communicate the answer after the meeting
o Don Young volunteered to share the “spokesperson” spot with Sandy. Finance Committee members are to send any anticipated questions to Sandy asap so that answers can be formulated prior to 2/3/18.
6. Fund raising requests – Ed Ingram made a motion, Don Pine seconded to recommend approval of the following Fund Raisers. Motion carried.
From Missions and Outreach:
o Souper Bowl Sunday –2/3/19 - “betting” on Super Bowl winner by bringing canned soup for REAP
o REAP Pancake Day/Bake Sale – March 16
o CROP WALK/ - second Sunday in October
o Sloppy Joe’s Café – October sometime
o Popcorn Sales – orders taken November 3 & 10 in parlor with delivery on November 24
o New Opportunities for Orphaned Romanian Children & PEB-Pakistani Schools – supported mostly by other fundraisers but M & O will collect a free-will offering if they have a speaker for either of these missions
o Bake Sale during Rummage Sale
o Summer Lunch Program
o Micah Ministry
o Raytown Easter Eggstravaganza – may ask for candy or egg container donations
o Be the Church: a new Presbyterian local mission in greater KC – M & O did not give any timeframe for this
From Christian Education Committee:
o Rummage Sale – Set up in first floor meeting rooms 5/20 -6/11; sale 10am-4pm 6/12-6/15; sale to worship attendees after worship 6/16; REAP gleaning and packing 6/17; pick up of left overs 6/18
7. BRPC P. O. box -the Office Manager’s door is being replace with a solid door to eliminate all the cold air that comes in through the current mail slot. Karen Argo and Pastor Ron are willing to pick up mail at the Post Office. Don Pine made a motion which carried to approve this expense.
8. Property Tax Exempt Status - to maintain this there is now a form with a lengthy series of questions to be answered and a list of documents to be submitted. Don P offered to help Sandy with this project.
Next meeting 1:30 p.m. on February 11, 2019. It was the consensus of the committee to change our meetings to daytime
Pastor Ron ended our meeting with a prayer.